Pages

Tuesday 19 February 2013

I'll be honest and admit I was scared to try and fail at making a block. Nothing wrong with failing except when it leads to giving up.  There were many times I was happy I had stocked up on thread and kept my seam ripper close.

Saturday morning full steam ahead. I started making my first block - a log cabin. Following the instructions on website I'd found just wasn't clicking. I had also bought a log cabin ruler last week which came with instructions. Pulling out my practice Walmart fabric I started. I did some running around in the afternoon with the kids which led me to the local quilting store and buying some beautiful batik's - jelly roll and a pack of 40 10x10 squares.

My first log cabin - I admit it - it's a bit wonky, not in love with the fabric used but I was incredibly proud of myself and how it turned out.

I found a suede pillow is a great backboard for my blocks. The material sticks to it like a felt board.

Log Cabin



While working on the log cabin - my husband got jumpy watching me cut with the rotary - one little slip and there goes a finger tip, he went out and came home with a suction handle for my ruler. What a difference this made!! My cuts are much better.

Energized with the new fabric and a sense of accomplishment I moved onto Block 2 - 9 patch

This was more difficult, while for the first block I used the practice fabric this time I had an entire jelly roll of color and combinations to choose from. Color choices took hours and even had my daughters helping out.

Fabric from jelly roll


This one turned out beautifully. Is it perfect? No but I love the colors (which is funny because I'm not a pink person)


9 Patch


Block 3 Churn Dash

Again, so much choice of color it took hours to decide. I had to break into the 10 x 10 fabric to make the squares. I was trying to conserve those 10 inches squares, but I broke them in.

I'm the first to admit that not all my seams perfectly line up (in all of my blocks) but it's not for lack of trying. I have been pressing my seams open but I'm sitll working on that perfect seam match up.
Churn Dash

After completing this one I went back to the log cabin, followed the directions as specified on the site, armed with my jelly roll and the results I think is beautiful! Much less wonky than my first attempt

I'll be honest when first looking at the different blocks this wasn't one of my favorite blocks, but after doing it I can see why people love it. It can be so simple, yet the possibilities are endless - each block can be different or you can have all the blocks build to one grand design. To make a block (cutting and sewing together) doesn't take that long and gives you a sense accomplishment. I found I could just do it.

Notice I didn't mention choosing the color scheme in the mix, this seems to be one of the hardest things for me to do, even after starting I'm constantly waffling over this or that fabric for the next piece even though it's already laid out. Maybe I need to learn to commit to the colors and just go with it.

Log Cabin - take 2



 Block 4 Pin Wheels

While using the same concept of the Churn dash (3x3) squares, this one made me hesitate. I agonized over the contrasting colors because I was really limited.

Note to self, while the darker richer fabrics are beautiful, lighter colors have their place and are just as important to pick up.
Pin Wheels



Block 5 Arizona

Another block I was worried to start. I don't know why, it's using the same principle as the Churn and Pin Wheels, maybe it's the lack of contrasting fabric. I had to dip into my practice fabric to have enough material for the light contrast.

I have gotten the top and bottom rows complete, middle row needs to be sewn together than all three connected.




Arizona


Next up Block 6 Bow Ties

Before I can move along I'll need more fabric to make the proper sized squares if I'm following the instructions exactly. The quilt shop has a bargain basement - I haven't checked it out but heard the shop keeper telling another customer when I was on my way out of the store.

I have played around using 2.5 squares and understand how it's done, if I don't get a chance to get to the store by the time I'm ready to move forward, I may play around and see what I can do with smaller blocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment