Pages

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Feb 4th

Today after much deliberation I bought a computerized sewing & embroidery machine. I did tons of research on which machine would be the best for my budget. I ended up buying a machine that is a few years old and not available in Canada. For a comparable machine here I would have doubled the price.

I didn't use the express shipping option (it would have doubled the $91. shipping cost). I won't lie and say that getting my machine in 2 days wasn't tempting. I'm itching to get my hands on this machine & get my skills back to where they once were. It's been 20 years since I last did more than sew on a button & last quilted when I was in grade 7 (so close to 30 years ago).

My goals is to learn the embroidery function of the machine, and make simple quilt squares as practice of the different styles and making clean straight lines. I'm going to start with basics simple brick, on to pin wheels, and continue working with different styles until I'm comfortable. Simple traditional and glass patterns are the quilts that interest me the most.

I have a very busy life. No matter how I attempt to organize my life, with teens it can turn to chaos in a blink of an eye. I like clean lines and strive for balance. When it comes to art I'm a minimalist.  This became apparent when I started scrap booking. My pages in comparison to friends pages looked embarrassingly bare. Not that there wasn't a lot going on - I just liked the background to show through and act as an enhancement to the pieces. I will force myself out of that comfort zone, as I've seen a few incredible in your face quilts that go against my natural grain.

I have looked over other blogs & have seen that many use a photo editing software to plan their patterns. What a fabulous idea!!

Here is a picture of the machine



No comments:

Post a Comment