Pages

Monday 25 February 2013

Exciting weekend

I'm so excited, my sweetie bought me a table for cutting for my new sewing area. He is amazing! The table has telescopic legs so we could adjust it to the perfect height for me. Always thinking ahead to make life easier. This morning while he was out picking up the table, my son and I moved one of the couches out of the basement to his room. There was tons of space for it, he has the bonus living room (which we converted to a bedroom so we could have enough space for all the kids) a huge 19 x 16 room over the garage. The desk from my childhood bedroom set is being put to use for my sewing machine. Chris plans on refinishing it for me once the weather is nice again. Didn't I mention he is amazing!?!

We have bought a few of the storage organizer cubes over the past few years and love them. We had an extra that was still in the box, measured it and it's a perfect fit to slide under my cutting table.  I open it up to start building and it's missing the bag of hardware - bummer!! I sent an email to the company but if we don't hear back from them in a reasonable time, again my husband to the rescue said he'd go and buy all the screws and dowels I need.

I keep calling my husband over to check out my space. It's not finished and not much going on in comparison to what our plans are but I LOVE IT!



Yes, my old ironing board has been artfully decorated again. Moment of honesty, my cover is over 20 years old and even though it's clean it has seen better days. The padding is gone in some areas and the metal frame can be felt if you run your hand/iron over it and there are marks that just will never go away. It is on the list to be replaced, until that day arrives I will be artfully covering it.

This  weekend didn't get much done, I had cleaned up my makeshift sewing area (otherwise known as the kitchen table) before starting the work/school week. There it sat until Saturday afternoon. Running around Saturday morning buying paint for our oldest daughters room (after pushing her to pick a color for over a year) and stopping at the fabric and hobby shop. Finally all set back up, finished off the Arizona and started on the Pin Wheels block.



I don't know why I just didn't love constructing this block and it shows in my sewing. I didn't take out the seam and try lining it up when the seams didn't line up which I've done on all the others multiple times. I did love the fabric I used though and it deserved better attention than I gave it.

I'm not sure which pattern I'm going to work on next. I was going to follow the tutorial completing the blocks in order that they were posted but I want to do more than half square triangles which is the next 4 blocks. Actually, the problem is I want to try applique. I have something special in mind I want to do and it involves applique and embroidery. That's all I'm saying for now as it is a surprise. So there it is - my next block will be appliqued circles. I did play with making some small things last night with hit and miss results (more misses than hits). I did the cheater turn, and tried ironing and sewing on the seam, next raw applique. They make it look so easy in the tutorials.



Lots of work ahead of me this week - daughters bedroom walls need to be prepped, painted then wallpaper applied to create a focus wall. We happened to find a mis-mix paint and primer for $5. It's in the same color line as the wallpaper and will be a perfect way to prep the wall before hanging. But the good news is my sewing area will be ready and waiting for me


No comments:

Post a Comment