Pages

Monday 20 January 2014

Progress on scrappy quilt

I finally figured out what I was going to work on last weekend. My long neglected scrappy patch quilt is slowly getting some love. Once I got started putting these rows together I began to wonder why did I put this aside?

It feels good to have my sewing machine humming again. See those piles, 3 - 16 blocks of 9 patch scrappy goodness. Just a few more to go on the fourth section. I think I need to double the amount of patches though to get a decent sized quilt.  (Right is my current progress, below is where I picked up from last weekend)

I'd been waffling about joining  the "grow your blog" hop but I chickened out. Despite all my intentions I'm not the most regular blogger, nor am I whipping out finishes to show at any great rate. I just keep reminding myself it's not speed of the journey, it's what you get out of it along the way. I'll just keep plucking along.

I'd also been seriously contemplating simplifying the look of my blog for awhile.  I really love the petal border but thinking a plain white background with simple black text would be easier on the eyes and just a cleaner look. Finding a few minutes to myself earlier today, I went and played around making the changes. I decided to go slightly off white, I found the white too bright and hurt my eyes on my laptop. I discovered I was a no reply blogger a few weeks ago and turned that off.

My Morris Apprentice hexies have also had some progress in picking some fabric for the middle ring thanks to the help from my oldest daughter. Those scrumptious candy packs I bought at then end of December have been calling my name. I'm not sure if I'm going to do hexies with them now that I'm back to enjoying my sewing machine (not to mention seeing all the great things others are blogging about). I think I'll put them with my Paris Flea Market packs where I can't see them until the perfect plan comes together.

I went searching online to try to figure out how to make light and flaky tea biscuits vs my usual hockey pucks.  The recipe is identical to the one I use - apparently the trick is to keep the lard cold. Simply freeze it then grate into the flour mixture. Not bad!



They went perfectly with the homemade stew Chris and I put together yesterday morning. Cooking is something we always enjoy doing together. He did the cutting while I browned the meat and added extra spices & flavour to the liquid. When we're in the kitchen is when we seem to really work as a well oiled team. Yapping and working and before we know it, we've a got a nice meal and a clean kitchen. I have to say this picture doesn't give it justice, it was really tasty.

My week 3 Happy picture: flannel pj's.

Tonight I'm going to a girls night Bachelor viewing party. It's the 4 of us neighbours, I live in the middle between 2 and the neighbour from across the street. Not much watching going on but lots of talking and laughing all in our flannel pj's. Can't wait!

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Love the art paper borders...I'm not into the "grow your blog" fad either. I can understand if you're trying to earn a living by selling advertising space but I enjoy reading about others journeys in quilting.

    Sounds like you live in a lovely neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky to be surrounded by a great bunch of neighbours in recent years. Thanks for the encouragement Lainee on the new (& hopefully improved look), I'm with you, I have no plans to use my blog for anything other than my own enjoyment. I do love reading everyone's blogs!

      Delete