Pages

Saturday 25 January 2014

Cold, long week but the weekend is here!!

Look what arrived in the mail!
My fabric of the month clubs Batik and Kona Cotton Solids. I love these clubs!


This week has been a crate full of yuck that just keeps giving. Everyone has had their own agenda the past few weeks and I feel like I'm being pulled in a million different directions and never in the direction I want or feel I need to go. So what's a person to do? I decided a bit of retail therapy was in order & bought The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt book for under $20 on Amazon.ca. I set the shipping to next day delivery so I'd have it in time for the weekend. It arrived yesterday afternoon.  I love it when a plan works out!

I know I said I didn't want to start anything new until I get some of my other projects done but now that I'm back in the swing of things I think this is a great way for me to build my skills and just have fun. I'm playing with the idea of doing 2 of each block, one in Batiks only and the other will be anything goes type of quilt - no real fabric theme more of whatever strikes my fancy that day.

I won't say I haven't had self doubts about this but I've come up with answers for all of them. Working from home the past 7 years has resulted in my having regular running dialogs or question & answer session with myself. At this point I'm pretty sure the dogs think I'm crazy and most days they'd be right.

Do I have enough Batiks to do this? I'm sure if I run out I'll have no problem buying more ...

What if I give up part way through then I'll have double the orphan blocks! No problem! Pillow cases, place mats and mug rugs for everyone!!

Will the blocks work together in the end color wise? Probably not but that's OK, it's a learning process not just in creating the blocks but also in color choices and seeing what works together and what doesn't. If worse comes to worse, I can put a really pretty back on it and pretend it's the front. ;)

What if I have a hard time with a block am I really going to have make 2?? Part of me thinks Suck it up Porkchop, but then the sensible side kicks in and remind myself to just try and see how it goes.

So here's the plan: I would like to complete a minimum of one block from the book per week but if I don't NO Pressure. This is going to be a planned long term WIP, some weeks will work out and some won't.

Looking through the book brings up something I didn't anticipate. Should I start with the first block in the book (who would've thought the first block in the book would be 26?)? Work my way through the blocks starting at 1 going in order of the Block Assembly (pg 128)? Or maybe I'll cruise through and pick random blocks. I need some more time to sit down and look through the book to decide which way to go.

I do know I will be doing this by machine. I have my hexies to keep my hands busy enough for now. A bit more retail therapy is in order, I'd like to stay organized so will need to pick up some containers for this project, containers for completed blocks, another to hold the templates and probably containers of the scraps for future projects.

In the evenings I was able to get some more work done on my Christmas hexie table runners but other than that I haven't much more to report.

My happy picture this week is Downy Unstoppable Scent Boosters. The Shimmer scent is my favorite & always makes me smile.


Last nights fortune cookie told me Failure makes you stronger. You can do anything.
So here goes anything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment