Pages

Sunday 14 February 2016

This weekend marks a 3 year & a 17 year journey

This long weekend (Monday is Family Day in Ontario) marks my quilting journey and blog's anniversary weekend. Pictured is the first block I made. Valentines weekend also marks 17 years since Chris and my first date. I probably should have led with that....

First picture of us March ' 99
Chris & my lives crisscrossed so many times before we actually met its bizarre. I won't get into it here or this post would be a short novel but it's surprising that we hadn't met years before. Long story short - we met through mutual friends. Although we were both divorced at this point, we weren't introduced as potential dates for each other. He was doing me a favor by taking a look at my broken computer. Once he got it running with a new hard drive, I asked what I owed him and his reply was 'Dinner?' Not sure if you can see his blue eyes and dimples in the picture but how could I turn those down with such a smooth request? We had beer & take out pizza and watched Blade on VHS.

9 years later we married (8 years in May). We've had bumps and baggage (some mine, some his) to overcome along the way and still stumble on occasion but it's our road and one I'd take with him over & over again.

Picture is about a month after our first date.

Now back to quilting. I still remember the nervousness that first Saturday making the log cabin block with my very small Ebay/Walmart stash (a handful of fq's) using the kitchen table as my work-space. I was so worried that it was going to be a disaster. Other than not loving the fabric I was so proud of that block. Wanting to make more from the Sewn by Leila skill-builder-sampler I rushed to the LQS that afternoon and bought my first jellyroll of Batiks. I worked all weekend completing 5 more blocks by Monday night. I was hooked and Chris was looking for a place to move my sewing mess work-space LOL. And here ends my trips down memory lane ...


Saturday I concentrated on D's stars. I'll be honest as much as I love this pattern and how it's turning out, its slow going & I was beginning to panic. Part of the issue is watching Netflix while quilting, if I'm not interested in the show it goes OK, but if it's something I like, more watching then sewing/cutting/ironing is happening. This weekend I tried something different. I turned YouTube on the tv and picked a favorite band, cranked the volume loud enough so I could hear over the sewing machine and let it loop through the upbeat familiar songs. Wow! I think I found my quilting groove!   It looks like a mess in the picture but there is actually a method to my madness. I will be working on this tomorrow (Monday)

Today, I was away from the sewing room most of the day (family time) but I was able to squeeze in first block of The Splendid Sampler which was released this morning. My youngest R helped me pick which fabric to use. She loved all the 1930's reproduction fabrics and after some wrangling on her part, this quilt will be hers with the understanding that it will be a year in the making. That being the case, Farmers Wife revival quilt which I'm still itching to get started on will probably be M's. This doesn't mean I'm off the hook for their other quilts, I just get to make them lap size instead (and with the added bonus R offered to help me finish making hers - unsolicited quality time with my 18 yr old daughter outside of a mall... I feel like I fell into a pot of gold!!!). Maybe once M see's her sister helping she'll offer to work on hers with me as well - one can dream right!?! ;) . I will have to come up with some boys quilts as well... though I'm not so unrealistic to think they will be offering to work on it with me unless there was a way to put working electronics/car parts in it. LOL

Back to D's stars tomorrow. Hope everyone had a lovely weekend (or continues to for those with a long weekend)

No comments:

Post a Comment