Pages

Wednesday 24 February 2016

Derailed by Quick threading needles

Ok derailed is a bit extreme, more like had an obstacle thrown in my path...

D's stars is continuing to come together but a few weeks ago I noticed some of the sections threads were loose at edges and there were missed stitches. I figured out after lots of wasted time fiddling it was the new needle I put in when I started this quilt (actually Chris figured it out for me). Apparently at some point I had bought quick threading needles. In my troubleshooting I had replaced the needle but grabbed from the same pkg of needles. I was threading it normally and never noticed the slot just above the eye. Anyway my old Singer was not happy, it was unthreading and then rethreading as it sewed a stitch or two later but wasn't consitent and on quick glance I didn't notice it. Dug out a pkg of 'regular' needles and have been checking each section the last few weeks and it's all been good. I've reinforced seams that I thought looked even the slightest sketchy as I come across them but how many did I miss before I discovered the problem?? At the time I had fallen down the rabbit hole far enough in that starting over just wasn't happening. Quilting is going to be an overall stitch in the ditch. That wasn't my original plan but I really hope this will be enough to reinforce any missed areas so the quilt doesn't fall apart after a few washes.



It doesn't look like much progress since last post but it's coming together. I'm more organized in the back end for the stars which is the biggest time consumer but I admit it's been slow going

The past few days I've been watching The Splendid Sampler blocks pop up in my Fb feed and there are so many creative people out there. A lot of quilters are making tiny tweaks to the blocks or fussy cutting with fabric I'd never think to use. It's really incredible how people can take the same pattern as 15000 + others and mark it with their own special flare! I'm loving this group. I didn't jump right on the 2nd or 3rd blocks, with work and D's birthday less than 3 weeks away that has been my priority. I'm hoping to take some time and catch up (4th block will be released tomorrow)





No comments:

Post a Comment