Pages

Tuesday 10 September 2013

All about hexagons

(this has been another 2 week long post in the making )

I received my package from Stitch In the Ditch on last Tuesday in August (the 27th).

Again It wasn't exactly what I ordered. Yes in the photo that is a pkg of 1" hexagon pieces. All I could think was you dummy you ordered the wrong thing. Checked my shipping invoice to see if it was replacement - maybe they were back ordered on the Dies & sent the pieces as a sorry for the delay type thing. Nope it said 1" hexagons on the invoice. I know what my order amount was and those would be pretty expensive pieces of paper so I looked up my order and clicked on the item I ordered and yes I ordered the 1" Sizzix Hexagon Die not the pieces. Phew!

I called the owner and she looked up my order and apologized. She mentioned that they've been swamped with orders (I know Fat Quarters was as well - I received a message that due to high volume of orders they would be delayed sending mine out). We had a good chat and both came to the conclusion everyone stocking up for winter (I can't get over how nice & friendly people in the quilt community are). I originally said I was going to ship those pieces back. As we were talking I changed my mind. I've been dying to try out making hexies and would prefer to either get the knack for them before I go away (if I go away - I haven't heard anymore on that) or discover now that I hate making Hexies. So I told her to just charge my account for those paper pieces.

She is making sure the Die gets shipped - so probably a week an a half delivery from BC.

Armed with those little pieces I decided to do a test with one of my first fabric purchases - Moda Snap Pop Candy & 3 Sisters Paris Flea Market Mini Charm packs (I love them both but have never found the right project to use them)

I did 2 different flowers machine stitched with a zig zag, one basted and one glued. Then one hand stitched basted and one glued.

Glued vs Basted

Using both methods the Hexies came out with perfect sides and folds so no real difference there. I really love how fast you can make the hexie using the glue, but I also enjoyed the process of basting (only pricked my finger once) Glue is fast and easy but is a bit messy. Basting takes a bit more time (but I was getting quicker with each one) and is a bit fussy.

Hand Stitched Vs Machine
Snap Pop Candy
I had some technical issues with the zig zag stitch on the basted flower but I think that was more a 'me' thing than the actual process. Again, it took under 10 minutes to get those machine sewn. (I had both of these done Tuesday evening)





So my results - machine sewn both glued and basted - paper ripped and was not reusable - maybe I did something wrong!?!

Hand sewn Hexagons papers were re-usable in both glued and basted.





Paris Flea Market
 Obviously whip stitching the hexies together took more time. I found decent lighting is an absolute must for me (otherwise can't thread the darn needle). The more I did the faster I got. The faster I got ... the more I wanted to do. Ack vicious cycle.

Paris Flea Market
So my conclusion is if you want instant gratification & don't care that those papers are trash at the end - use the glue and the machine method. (I had finished this the 4 single flowers within 2 days and wrote this blog but didn't post because I wanted to show something finished - which obviously didn't happen). I did the third ring using only hand basting and whip stitch while tuning into the Harry Potter marathon on the long weekend when I had 'me' time. Harry Potter is awesome. It really brings me back to when the kids were young. I won't say life wasn't hectic and a lot of the time was just pure chaos, but I really miss those days.

On Saturday Aug 31st I received my jelly rolls from Fat Quarter now that I'm looking the colors I'm wondering if it will be too much busy centers then surrounded with the neutral then the white.  I may modify my original plan a bit. Once I get the patterned hexies  done I'll lay them out and make a decision.


Snap Pop Candy








 One thing  I absolutely need to work on is my quilting and binding and figure out what works for me. Either that or I need to switch to hand quilting only! I really suck at it using my machine! Pictured is a pot holder ...
This past Friday Aug 6th, I received my Die. I didn't get around to trying it out until the next morning. My son was  chatting with me and we were talking about how many hexagons I need. So while we were chatting decided to time me to me - 160 perfect hexagon papers in under 10 minutes. Insane! It probably would have been more if I knew he was timing me, but I didn't so I wasn't rushing.

We had a girls day where we all got cuts and color on Saturday afternoon and I was able to do some while my color was setting. Sunday I spent the morning at my parents and afternoon shopping with the girls but I was still able to baste about 100 hexagons out of the the Morris Apprentice mini packs. Only 196 more to go and they will be done.


I also added a new list to my blog named UFO's. When I started this quilting journey I never intended to have UFO's but well there it is. As I said above my machine binding and quilting skills are seriously lacking ... I see a lot of mug rugs and pot holder finishes in my future.

I was able to wipe another item off my wish list this afternoon. Chris went shopping while I was working and came home with an incredible iron for me. I'm in love - no leaks, no water stains, it glides over fabric like butter - it's awesome! Added item more straight pins. I'm going to have to get them in bulk.


I also bought 2 magazines in the past few weeks - both Fon's and Porter. If you look at my collection of quilting magazines it seems Fon's and Porter seem to be the majority. Maybe I'll put a subscription on my Christmas list... along with the Pandora bracelet the youngest said she'd plant hints to Chris on my behalf.

Rereading this the money would be better spent on a class on binding and machine quilting ....:P

Off to celebrate my oldest daughters 17th birthday today.

No comments:

Post a Comment