Pages

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Neglect

Yesterday, I posted that I created a new area on my blog to keep track of my WIP/UFO's. I don't sleep well on most nights and lately it's gotten much worse. My previous average of around 6 hours has turned into lucky if I get 4. I finally had an epiphany. A month or so ago I switched from enjoying a decaf coffee in the evenings to green tea. It took weeks for my sleep deprived brain to figure out that green tea unless otherwise specified is caffeinated. Here is a little insight into of one of the many things that I've been obsessing thinking about in the wee hours in between watching the clock, cursing my impending alarm and praying for just a bit of sleep...

neglected scrappy quilt
I've been having so much enjoyment from working daily on my the hexagons that my poor scrappy quilt has been sitting in a box on my cutting table for the past 3-4 weeks.

I feel guilty for pushing it aside. Yes, I realize it's an inanimate object but at night it haunts me like I'm ignoring a child for its more interesting sibling (bare in mind I'm severely lacking sleep). I have come to the conclusion that I need to shift my focus a bit and give it some love and attention even if only for a few minutes each day.


Minky
The plan is still to use chocolate minky as border around each of the 4 - 9 patches sections and backed with the spotted plush fabric I bought on sale months ago. Something you want to snuggle into on the couch.

Plush
I was thinking of making it in sandwich blocks and quilt as you go but haven't fully committed to that yet. I have a pattern rattling around my head to quilt. In theory it's simple enough for me to do decently while not compromising too much of the plushness.

Thankfully, my Doggie quilt (I really need to come up with a better name) is patient and understanding that I'm not ready to finish it in the manner it deserves. Although I've said numerous times that I may just hand quilt it, I still haven't abandoned the hope of machine quilting and binding it. Not to mention, I still have no clue how I'm going to quilt it - I didn't like the look or feel of the straight (or in my case not so straight) lines. All I know is this quilt is meant for my than my current skill level and it doesn't feel right to compromise it just to get it done. I want to love all my quilts no matter if they are destined for a dog bed or the queen. I'll leave the major skill developing to my rug mugs and pot holders for now ;)

Which brings me to my Carpenter's wheel. Well .. with the original layout a thing of the past, I need more fabric. So until I find what I'm looking for he's been benched.

Last night while watching Faceoff and Heroes of Cosplay after we discovered we don't have the 'right' combination of super channels and missed SOA season 6 premiere (FX Canada which we have was showing season 4??) I basted another 20 or so hexagons. The more I work on these the more I'm sure that I'm going to use the Kona solids for the center as well as the originally intended third row. Now, should I use the same center as the surrounding ring or make using different contrasting color? I think I'm leaning towards the latter.


No comments:

Post a Comment