Pages

Sunday 14 May 2017

Petal Patch on hold while I finished this...

My daughter Madison got a new tablet last week, so I decided to surprise her with a case. We'll what started off as a quick project took a lot longer than I expected.


I made Hazel Hedgehog from Fancy Forest for the first time using the same fabric from her quilt. It turned out a bit more crinkly after the wash then I anticipated & took two turns in the dryer to  dry. If you're wondering how it went read on ...
First face, Surprise! my quarter inch was not exact (was slightly larger) and as you can imagine with this pattern accuracy is a must. So I remade all the pieces for the face.
Second face, I oriented the body/leg the wrong way even after reading the warning. I even flipped it down before cutting but still didn't catch it so big slice down the face with the block going the wrong way.  So on to making face number three, I have to say by then it was going much easier.
While working on the third, my presser foot broke. The lever went up and as soon as I moved my hand away it fell. The foot, well it never moved from down position. Yep, my trusty model singer I bought in '92 was having a bad day. Thankfully, as Chris was at his parents 5 hours away, I jumped over to the 128k that has been gathering dust off to side in my sewing room. Actually this turned out to be a blessing in disguise. 9 layers of fabric and batting for that one section with that front pocket & binding. My '90's model while pretty darn rugged never would have gotten through all that! It was slow going at times, broke one needle and after a needle change & a good clean she kept on chugging. I forgot how much I love that machine, no searching under my desk for foot peddle (knee peddle in table) and as far as straight stitch -she's a dream.
Quilting was done on the 128 and my powerquilter 16. I need to practice a lot more, my free motion is a bit too free at times lol.


Hazel or maybe I should say Myrrh the hedgehog (Madison's Christmas gift 2 years ago pictured above) tablet case has been given and is now protecting her tablet.  I will make this block again along with the other blocks in the Fancy Forest. Next time with a few learning lessons in my quilting toolbelt.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend 🌷🐞

No comments:

Post a Comment