Pages

Thursday 23 March 2017

Madi's quilt & a catch up

This wasn't the beginning of the post that I was expecting to write. I know its been awhile since my last post so you'll have to take my word for it... I've updated the look of my blog. Blogger popped up change your look then showed me the online and mobile views. The mobile view was horrifying. I'll be honest I hit post and never look at what anyone else sees. I try to make my pictures large size so it's easy to see without having to click on the picture to fill the screen then I orient it left or right and put text beside. Looks good online but is unreadable by mobile. It shows the picture and beside it a few characters then new line, more characters...

Heres an example what I saw on the mobile view
Imagine the picture is here then text : thi
                                    Picture continues:  s is
                                    Picture continues: My Q
                                    Picture continues: uilt
             
While I was playing with the layout I decided for a new theme. I may change it again now that I will be looking at the previews on posting. Lesson learned.



Enough of that and onto the quilt progress. Madi's quilt has been back up on the wall since finishing my Christmas quilt at the end of Jan. I've put a lot of thought into what to do with this. It's taken me 6 weeks of picking at it here and there. Flowers have been appliqued, blocks were trimmed and connected into 4 patches.  I'd been dreading stitching the fused flowers but once I got going it wasn't so bad - there will be no question if this is a homemade quilt though LOL. With the center done I played around with adding multiple borders to fill the rest of the space but it just isn't the look I want. At the moment I'm thinking pinwheels as the next section ... I did make a sample (actually a few) and the purple'ish fabric is too dark as the background. I went scrounging for the right white. It's not bright white and just a touch off snow, seems plain white I bought a mini bolt of for my farmers wife is the winner. I need to label my fabric and write the colors down for my projects ... another lesson learned. Pictured I still need to trim the borders and join the patches. You can see that pinwheel peeking from the top left


The leaders and enders quilt is slowly growing and I have stacks of 2, 3 & 4 patches which I need to join to make rows of 5. It's such a happy spring quilt! Pictures were taken at night. If you squint at that picture I kind of like the thinner white gap between the bottom blocks. Hmmm something to play with before joining them.

While I'm not working on Madi's I've been searching for inspiration for Reeg's quilt. I guess my over buying fabric is really working in my (her?) favor, if I change direction again this will be the third attempt on her quilt. The scraps from the previous two fails will be pulled apart and go in a scrap bin. Reeg had her 19th birthday since my last post - it's her lucky year so maybe I'll actually get her quilt done... I've only been sitting on these since Sept 2014.

For international quilt day I spent it glued to thequiltshow.com. I can't believe how talented their guests are. They break down the process so well it takes some of the fear out of trying new techniques like curves. I really enjoyed the site!

In other news, I can't believe we are in the home stretch of March already. I've got a handle on two of my 2017 goals ..time to add another. I'd like to say it will be my 15 minutes daily in the sewing room I guess I'll try adding them all and see which one sticks. My 9 to 5 job has been hectic & I'll leave it at that. I've been in meetings all week, thankfully I can do them remotely. They wanted me to travel but it's not a good time for my family and honestly I over did the work travel for a few years and just don't have the travel bug right now. Even though I'm not in the room I've been staying out of my emails and apps. I know if I multitask I'm going to miss something important and be sorry later.

So that's it for now. Hopefully I will have more progress to show by the end of the weekend & a new haircut if my daughter can find the time. It's nearly waist length and I'm wanting something light going into spring/summer. Unless I chicken out again and just have her cut off a couple of inches.


2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through QuilterBlogs tonight. Can I just say how much I love your top quilt...especially the colors you've chosen. Good luck on working through those 2017 goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just like the quilt - a work in progress :) Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete