Pages

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Test blocks

I have some finishes despite being MIA for a bit. I was so intent on finishing my Superman tumbling blocks mini before working on anything else that it led me to avoid my sewing area for 2 weeks. I seem to have a mental block when it comes to the quilting aspect. I'm stitching in the ditch .. so it's not complicated, I think it's an issue with my wanting to be able to do much more than my skills allow and getting frustrated. I know Practice, Practice, Practice is the only way to get through this mental stumbling block.

Shopping at Walmart for extra bobbins last week some fat quarters of Flutterby caught my eye. I loved the bright summery colours and thought it would be great for making mug rugs to practice on. I came across this tutorial last week Easy-Peasy-Binding-Tutorial and figured working out the kinks of my binding and working on my control while quilting is technically going to benefit this quilt ... right!?! Once I had the rotary cutter in my hand, typical me - my plan changed. Instead of mug rugs I decided to make a sample block of the carpenters star (modified) for my oldest daughters quilt.

I had to scale it down to work with the jelly roll and 10' charm pack I will be using for her actual quilt so some math was needed to figure out the best way to go. I figured out all my measurements as I went, used chain piecing for the first (but definitely not the last) time and here we are. It's bright and fun - points aren't perfect but I like it (for the record that upper star point on the right has the same pink on the end - really I didn't mangle it that badly) It will finish to an 11.5' block. I've decided that instead of adding it to my orphan blocks it would make a really nice throw pillow. Added some of the green as trim to make it 16' finished, a bit of minky on the back, gave it a quick wash and tossed in some stuffing and she's good to go.

On a roll I made another block to turn into a throw pillow for my youngest. This months fabric of the month was Northcott's Stonehenge Kids - Undersea Adventure (see full line HERE). It came in over the weekend and it was at the top of the pile. I was originally just going to go with it but seeing she's 16 I thought it would be best to let her pick the fabric. The minute she saw it she had to have it. To make sure I wasn't influencing her or she was picking out the first thing she saw, I pointed out other fabric she has drooled over in the past but she stayed firm. This time I made the Crazy Quilt block from Quilter's Cache that I've been wanting to try for awhile. It's the first time I've ever done piecing and I have to say Wow I loved how quick this block went together. I didn't have any muslin so used plain white cotton and chalked the block pattern on and went to work. I added the border to make it bigger and used black minky on the back. It only took a few hours from starting it to going into the washer. Record time for me!! I ran out of fill half way stuffed so its not fully finished yet but I'm really happy with this.

Next up is a block from the pattern she originally chose for her quilt Buzzsaw block. This one is paper piecing. Originally I was going to fudge it and create templates but now .. I'm going to attempt using the method from the site. I'm hoping to get started on it tonight.

I also need to make a pillow for my son by Sunday. It isn't fair the girls get pillows especially when it's his 21st birthday this coming weekend.

I still haven't tried out those instructions on binding but will get to them eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment